Protect your e-mail account.
Posted by Jango A, Last modified by MT Support 1 on 12 May 2017 03:06 PM
Dear Users !|
Before reading this article, make sure you have enabled 2-factor authorization and added a trusted IP address into the IP address white list (only if you have a static IP). These two options are the most effective protection for your account.
Most user account captures begin with an attack on its email accounts. Access to e-mail by third-party, may lead to a complete loss of control over the account of the BTC-e.
E-mail account is very important security object and must be protected very strong.
This article shows one of many ways, how to protect your e-mail account.
- Don`t use for registration of BTC-e account your regular e-mail, create a new one with STRONG password;
- Chose email provider with two factor authentication support *;
- Enable two factor authentication immediately, after creation of email. https://myaccount.google.com/u/7/signinoptions/two-step-verification ;
- Don`t use SMS for two factor authentication;
- Make backup QR code; recovery codes shouldn't be kept on local PC, the best way is to print them and keep in a safe place;
- Don`t use any mail programs for collection of your emails from mail server, don`t store emails locally! Or take additional actions to protect mail store (encrypt email programs or move them to encrypt drive, etc);
- Add all information (additional email, phone number, etc) for quick restoring the email if you lost control on it: https://myaccount.google.com/u/7/phone;
- Regular check forwarding rules and application access https://mail.google.com/mail/u/7/#settings/fwdandpop *;
- Disable POP, IMAP access https://mail.google.com/mail/u/7/#settings/fwdandpop * ;
- Regular check security events https://myaccount.google.com/u/7/security#activity ;
- Don`t open email in non trusted environment ( open fi-wi, public PC );
- Support of BTC-e never asks your e-mail password or any additional information about email security settings ( additional e-mail, phone number, onetime password, etc).
NOTE ! If you have plans for long holidays, business trip or something else, please request to block your account for a limited period of time https://btc-e.com/profile#security/vol_suspension
NOTE ! If you have the slightest suspicion that your e-mail is compromised:
- Check access to your BTC-e account, request to block your account for a limited period of time (2, 3 days);
- Create request to BTC-e support to "Account - hacked" department;
- Check access to your e-mail account. If you have access to e-mail account, than use the above recommendations as check list for a test of your email account settings.
* If email provider doesn`t provide these features, STRONGLY recommended NOT USE THAT MAIL SERVICE!
GMAIL service is just a example, BTC-e does not impose the use of this service, leaving the final decision for the user.